Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Game Review ( Flick Bowling - iPod/iPhone App )

Price: $4.99, but on sale for limited time at 99 cents.

Basically, I downloaded this game because it got great reviews at the $5, and it dropped down to only a buck. I can start by saying - those that think this was a bargain at $5 are stupid.

Graphics: 4.5/5 Among the best in the App Store that I can see. Great 3D graphics, good looking characters, and a big selection of bowling balls. The game is just lacking alleys. There is only one default one, but there is (supposedly) going to be a free update later this month adding another one.

Sound: ???/5 Gah, sorry - can't say. I only heard the menu music. From that, I got the impression that this is just another sub-par sounding game. However, the bowling sounds could be great. I don't know, though, because I was listening to music.

Control: 3.75/5 Took me a little while to get used to - it was really quite frustrating. Early on, I was flicking really quickly, so quick that the ball would very slowly roll down the lane. The trick is to do a nice swift, not-too-fast flick to get a super fast roll. Once you get the controls down, the game feels good.

Fun: 4/5 For a dollar, this is definitely worth it. If it was $5, I'd say HELLZ NAW! There are eight characters, high score tracker, and a lot of bowling balls. That's all fine and good, but where is the "Tournament Mode", or stat-tracking, or even character specific stats? I don't understand why a $5 game wouldn't have things like this. Also, the A.I. as pretty bad. Almost always, based on the difficulty setting, the A.I. will get the same amount of pins. For instance, on easy, he almost always gets 7 pins, followed by a spare or near spare. Medium, 8 pins first try and seemingly always a spare. On hard, the guy is a machine, getting a strike nearly every time. Flick Bowling, like I stated already, is worth it for the price it's currently at. The game is just sometimes inconsistent, and it's lacking features that a game of this seemingly-great quality should have.

4/5

No comments: