Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hardware Review (iPhone 4s)

The iPhone 4s was released back in October and is of course the successor to the iPhone 4. Just how good IS the iPhone 4s, and how exactly does it differ from the iPhone 4?

From the looks of things, the iPhone 4 and 4s look almost exactly the same. The only way you can tell the difference physically is by looking for the antennas near the top of the devices, because the slits are in different parts of the phone. Other than that, the 4 and 4s look identical. What's not identical, is what's inside. Here are a few differences:

Camera: iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera with 720p video recording. The iPhone 4s has an 8mp camera with 1080p video recording.

Processor: iPhone 4s is supposedly "twice as" fast due to its dual-core processor.

Battery: Tends to last a bit longer in the iPhone 4.

There are a few others, but those are the main ones. Oh yeah, and the iPhone 4s has Siri. Siri seems pretty awesome when you see advertisements for it, but the reality is, it's just not that useful. The time it takes you to answer a question -- if she can even answer it to begin with -- you could Google it in a shorter amount of time. There are some good uses for it, but Siri shouldn't be the reason you get a 4s.

Personally, I never had an iPhone before, and the only things I had remotely similar were the iPod Touch 1st and 2nd generations. Obviously, there is no comparison in the speed, or picture quality. If you're scared of dead pixels, then don't be scared of getting an iPhone 4s (or even 4), because it has "retina display." What this is essentially is a super-HD screen, with virtually non-existent pixels. I was sort of shocked when I looked at the screen on this thing then went back to look at my iPod Touch 2nd gen and saw just how mediocre that screen looked in comparison.

Like I said, I haven't had a previous iPhone, so I can't tell you how much more of an improvement is from a personal standpoint, but I can tell you that from what I've read, it seems that the iPhone 4s is different from the 4 for the few reasons I stated above: processing power, camera quality, and the addition of Siri. All three are nice to have, but it's not a huge leap forward from the iPhone 4 in my opinion. Still, the 4s is a great device, and the never-ending apps on the App Store just make it an addicting little gadget. If I have any issues with it, it's just that the battery seems to die extremely slow. I DO use it a lot, but I feel like I have to almost charge this thing TWICE a DAY. Like I said though, it's probably because I use it copiously.

+: Screen quality, pages load quickly, most everything else.
-: Siri's not nearly as awesome as its cracked up to be, battery life's kind of below average.

4.5/5

No comments: