Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Food Review (Cool Ranch DLT (Doritos Locos Taco) from Taco Bell)

It's not officially out until tomorrow, but they were still selling them today, so I got one. To be more specific, I got a Cool Ranch DLT Supreme. Like the original Doritos Locos Taco, this one comes on its own or as a Supreme, which has sour cream and tomatoes. Both DLTs (Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch) cost $1.29 for the regular taco, and $1.69 for the Supreme... though I'm sure it varies by location.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original Doritos Locos Taco, but I didn't dislike it, either. Since I prefer Cool Ranch Doritos to the Nacho Cheese ones, I figured I'd like this one a lot more. The truth is, it's not much better. Like the Nacho Cheese DLT, you really can't taste the Doritos seasoning all that much with the meat, lettuce, cheese, and (if you add it) sauce. It's like a regular taco, with a saltier shell and a very slight ranch flavoring. I actually found that the Nacho Cheese DLT had more flavor (and tasted saltier). Despite that, I think I actually like this Cool Ranch one a little bit more. The seasoning's subtle as hell, and just one of these tacos wouldn't fill the stomach of a baby sloth, but it's still pretty tasty. The biggest problem I have with both Doritos Locos Tacos is the price... why the hell does it cost $1.69 for a Supreme? It should be 99 cents for a regular and then $1.29 or something for the Supreme.

Despite the, in my opinion, relatively unfair price of the DLTs, both of them are pretty decent... though not nearly as great as a lot of other bloggers will have you believe.

3.5/5

No comments: